Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Whiff of Joy DT Card ~ Mini Airbrush Tutorial

Happy Tuesday Everyone! I wanted to let you know that I have posted a tutorial on the Whiff of Joy Inspiration & Tutorial Blog on how to make a card with an acetate front.   You can find it right -->here<--

I received so many questions on a similar card I posted at Christmas and I promised you all that I would get a tutorial done for you. Promise kept!  If you don’t remember the original card, you can see it -->here<--

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 032

Here is the card I made while creating the tutorial. At the same time I took some pictures of how I airbrush my images. I get a lot of questions as to where I bought my system. I purchased it from Ellen Hutson. It was actually a present from my dear sweet hubby last year!

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 013

1. The first thing I do is color my image. Here are the Copic Markers that I used. I also added Twinkling H20s for added depth and a subtle shimmer. I used Bashful Blue, Egyptian Gold, Poppy Red, Chestnut Brown and Pale Porcelain. I have used Charlotte riding Pigeon from Whiff of Joy’s Happy Mail release.

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 014

2. I created a mask of my image by stamping the image onto Eclipse paper. Don’t worry if you do not have this. You can use a large post-it instead.  Carefully cut it out with sharp scissors. This is an important step. Make sure you cut very close to the edges or you will have a white “halo” around the image after you airbrush. For little areas within the image (like under her right arm) I use an exacto knife.

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 015

3. Here you can see the mask affixed directly on top of my colored image. It is very important that you take great care at this step to have it perfectly positioned. I used Copic Marker BGooo to airbrush.

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 016 

4. It takes a little practice to get the hang of airbrushing. A very good resource is this blog “I Like Markers”. Marianne has created such a complete and comprehensive airbrushing  tutorial and so I will just direct you there :). Just remember to press the nozzle down and keep an even pressure to make sure you don’t get spotches. Also, the color will spray a little ahead of where you think you are pointing. I always work on a large piece of white paper and start spraying on that first to get a feel of where it is hitting the paper and the intensity. Then I move onto my project. Because this is the sky, I did not color the entire background uniformly. This way it looks like the sky and clouds.

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 017 

5. Once you are finished, you carefully peel the mask off and you will have a gorgeous background. I always keep my masks. You can use them over and over again and what a joy to just have it ready and waiting for you!

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 018

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6. The final touch was a little sponging around the edges with SU! Baja Breeze ink.

Here are some more pictures of the card.

Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 031 Whiff of Joy 2010 - Page 030

I hope you found this mini tutorial useful and you will find the tutorial on how to create the acetate front -->here<--

I have very exciting news for you. Katharina is holding a Guest DT call for Whiff of Joy Stamps! Just click on the banner below to find out how you can enter! And remember that even if you have tried before, you should try again. You just never know ;)

Thanks for stopping by and let me know if you found this helpful. I love to have feedback so I know what everyone is interested (or not) in!

15 comments:

Melyssa said...

Wow your colouring is amazing! And your card is beautiful!

Maria Therese said...

wow wish I could airbrush with my promarkers.
Beautiful card!!

Shirley N said...

That was a great tutorial Jeanette! You are such an inspiration!

Maya said...

WOW!!
This is gorgeous!!
Love the colors, details and the image is colored to perfection!!
Hugs from Maya :)

Brocéliane said...

super tutorial Jeanette :)

Brocéliane said...

merci pour le lien vers "Eclipse Tape", cela m'a permis de découvrir ce produit :)

Sandie said...

Wonderful card Jeanette. Your colouring is stunning as always.

I've been undecided about buying the airbrush for the copics but after seeing your tutorial I think I may just invest in one... (I'm sure my husband thanks you, LOL!!)

Tracey said...

This is stunning Jeanette! Your colouring is simply gorgeous!! xx

Riet said...

Ohhhhhh wowwwww Jeanette,what a beautiful card,i love your image and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.xx

Kelly Schelske said...

Fabulous card Jeanette! Awesome tutorial! I just got the airbrush system, so it's perfect!

Kim Dellow said...

WOW beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. Kim

My name is Wynneth said...

Awesome card and thanks so much for the useful turorial :o)

hugs
wynneth
x

BA said...

this is stunning, thanks for your great tutorial
xoxo BA

Jodie from Oz said...

Jeanette, love this beautiful card, your colouring is wonderful and your choice of colours perfect. Thanks for the tutorial, I need to use my airbrush more often. Hugs Jodie from Oz

Maria said...

Stunning card Jeanette as always! Great tutorial and certainly giving me the push to pull out the the airbrush system to practice. Hugs, Maria

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails