Monday, February 23, 2009

Copic Marker Tutorial


I have created this tutorial for coloring with Copic Makers because I get a lot of questions regarding how I color with these markers. I am not a certified instructor and I have never taken a course. This is just the way I do it and what works for me! I hope it will be helpful to you. Please let me know if there is anything that is unclear and I will edit to correct it!

First - A few useful tips:
  1. What brings an image to life is the shading and highlights. These add dimension to your image. Try to always imagine that the sun is shining from one corner of your card. This will help you determine where the shadows and highlights will be.
  2. I have a chart (from Splitcoasters) that lists all the copic marker numbers and has a space beside each one which you can color. I printed it on the paper I most often use for copic coloring and now I have a true color reference that I can use to match to my papers and to help pick my colors.
  3. When choosing colors, you will see that there is a logic to it all! Markers that are of the same color family (letters) and a few numbers apart will blend more easily together. For example, Lizzy's dress is done using B000, B00, B01, B04. That being said, the more you explore and practice, you will find combinations that you love that don't follow this rule.
  4. This blog I Like Markers is the very best place to learn all about Copic Markers. I am a regular visitor and this is where I learned how to use them.

Here are the supplies that I used:

  • Whiff of Joy Image - Lizzy with Muff
  • Acrylic Mounting Block
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Wasau Bright White Cardstock (Neenah Solar Crest white is also excellent)
  • Copic Markers:E00, R20, YR14, YR21, YR24, B000, B00, B01,B04, E51, E53, E55, E57, 00 Colorless Blender
  • Signo Uni-ball White pen
  • Sakura pen - Clear Star

So now let's get started!






















Voilà! My image is colored! To complete the look for the finished card, I masked the image and air-brushed the background...but that is another tutorial for another day! Hope this helped! Let me know if you find this useful!



26 comments:

Sandy said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for all the tips!

Maria said...

This is an excellent tutorial. Thanks Jeanette for sharing your wonderful colouring techniques. BTW, great card! Hugs, Maria

Kelly Schelske said...

Absolutely fabulous tutorial Jeanette! Thank you so much...maybe one day I will be able to color like you:-)

Hugs, Kelly

Anki said...

Wonderful card and a great tutorial! Kramis - Anki

Moni said...

Waw great tutoriaa, and the card is gorgeous, love the coloring! Hugs, moni

SCRAP DIDI said...

Tres belle carte jeanette ,
j'aime beaucoup les couleurs et le tampon wiff of joy et tres bien coloriée .
A bientot didi

Sue said...

oh brill tutorial hun thank you very much, will have another play with mine, won't look anything like yours though! lol, thanks sue.x

Brocéliane said...

super tutorial Jeanette :)

Rach said...

great tutorial hun. thanks for all the fabby tips.xx

Erin... said...

WOW thanks for the AMAZING tutorial! I can not wait to give your tips a try!

~Denise Lynn~ said...

OMG, what a great tutorial Jeanette! Thank you so much for sharing your techniques! Your image looks beautiful, perfectly colored! I will definitely be taking down these tips and tricks. :)

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

wonderful tutorial and wowzer the card is soooo cool.
love it

Nicole Bailey said...

Thank you for the thorough and detailed tutorial. I don't use my blender pen for anything other than mistakes but I'm going to try your method...love your results!
Thanks again!

cats whiskers said...

Thank you dear for a truly excellent tutorial, it explains everything so clearly,
Hugs Jacqui x

pinky said...

Thanks so much, this is just what i needed. Look forward to the airbrush technique next. Your a star.
Pinky

Christi Flores said...

What a fantastic tutorial and what a gorgeous card!!!!

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Stunning card Jeanette and your colouring is gorgeous, Love the beautiful flowers too, Big Hugs, Nikki x

Beate said...

Fantastic tutorial!! Thank you very
much for all the tips!
Your cards are great!!...i like them very much.
Hugs, Beate

Carole said...

Wowzers Jeanette, what an amazing tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques...it's really helpful!
So many wonderful clear pictures to guide us lol!
Look forward to reading the airbrushing tutorial.
Hugs
Carole x

Bev said...

Wow, this is fantastic Jeanette. I'm still dithering about Copics so will definitely keep this tut in mind. Thanks so much for sharing xx

Bev said...

Oh, I forgot to say (cos I got so carried away lol) the card is stunning!

Kim said...

WONDERFUL tutorial! I learned a few new techniques! :) Thanks for taking the time to put together a fun tutorial! You rock!
Hugs~ Kim

hobbydiva said...

TY! TY! TY! I sooo need this tutorial! I just got a bunch of copics and am having the hardest time trying to blend. MWAH!!!

Sandra said...

Fab tutorial.... helped soooo much. Thank you!!
Hugs
Sandra xx

Unknown said...

Wonderful tiutorial!! Thanks for the great tips!

hugs!

Joanne Travis said...

This is a fabulous tutorial!! Thanks so much for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails